Vaginal suppositories are special cone-shaped medications that people apply to the vagina. You can apply the suppository by yourself or seek help from a caregiver/a loved one. The suppository application is done using a special applicator. Once it is inserted into the vagina, the suppository melts and is absorbed into the body.
Why use vaginal suppositories?
There are many methods of consuming medicine, and you may wonder why people opt for vaginal suppositories. There are specific reasons and benefits of using these suppositories. One benefit is that; the suppositories are absorbed directly and fast into the blood system, making them better for providing quick pain-relief, especially for vaginal-specific issues.
Also, sometimes one may experience issues such as;
- Vomiting; hence one cannot keep the liquid/ oral medicine down
- Gastrointestinal tract issues making it impossible to consume medicine orally
- Having bitter pills that one cannot swallow orally
Another reason people use vaginal suppositories is to benefit from all the ingredients of the drug. When medication is digested, not all ingredients are ingested, as some waste away in the toilet. To avoid this, people use suppositories; hence, all the ingredients are absorbed into the body, and one gets to gain the full benefits of the medicine.
Step by step guide on how to take the vaginal suppositories
The method of taking vaginal suppositories is straightforward. Follow the following steps to the letter to successfully take the suppositories;
Step 1; Preparation
The first thing to do is wash your hands and your vaginal area using soap and warm water. After washing, dry up using a towel. Now unwrap the suppository, and ensure it is hard. If it does not feel hard, you can refrigerate it for some minutes until it feels optimally hard. Once you are done, place the suppository onto the applicator.
Step 2; Getting comfortable
Two positions can allow you to take in the suppositories comfortably. One position is lying on your back with your knees bent (most appropriate when you have a caretaker), and also, you can stand with your feet a few inches apart.
Step 3; Inserting the suppository
After you are set, gently insert the applicator into the vagina. Push the plunger as far as it can comfortably go to allow the suppository to go far back into the vagina. Remove the applicator after you are done.
Step 4; After removing the applicator, what next?
If the applicator is reusable, wash it using some warm water and soap, and clean your hands. It is advisable to apply vaginal suppositories during bedtime. It helps you avoid unnecessary movements as these suppositories may leak as you walk.
Key points to note
- To protect your clothes from suppository leaks, it is advisable to use a sanitary napkin. Note that you should not use a tampon because a tampon may absorb the medicine and affect its functionality.
- You can use vaginal suppositories even when you are experiencing menstrual periods.
- You can dissolve the suppository in water quickly or use a water-based lubricant for easier insertion into the vagina.
- Some suppositories need refrigeration. If the doctor, suppository’s instructions, or the pharmacist instruct you to refrigerate the medication, ensure you do that. Refrigeration prevents the suppository from melting and keeps it optimally hard.
- If you use a suppository (especially a CBD suppository) to prep for sex, insert it 20-30 minutes earlier before having sex. The time allowance is for the purpose of allowing the suppository to melt and be absorbed into the body.
- If you have trouble inserting the suppository after following the steps listed above, consult a doctor for advice on the best way to use it.
What are vaginal suppositories used for?
Vaginal suppositories perform specific tasks in the body. You can utilize suppositories for;
- Birth control
- Vagina dryness
- Vagina-related infections
- Prepping for sex
Birth control suppositories contain a spermicide. The spermicide blocks the uterus’ entrance blocking the sperm from getting through. The method is not 100% effective, and one should combine the suppository with other birth control methods such as using a condom to improve its effectiveness. If you use a suppository for birth control, ensure you insert it at least ten minutes before you have sex to give the spermicide enough time to disperse.
Vaginal dryness is common among women approaching menopause. There are hormonal, and vitamin E suppositories that a person experiencing vaginal dryness can take. The research is not conclusive, but anecdotal studies show that the suppositories are effective.
Candidiasis (a vaginal yeast infection) is treatable using natural and over-the-counter (OTC) suppositories. OTC suppositories that one can use to treat candidiasis include clotrimazole and miconazole.
People also utilize CBD suppositories to relieve conditions such as endometriosis, dyspareunia, and pelvic floor dysfunction. The CBD suppositories are available online in CBD online shops such as botanicam.com, and also you can get them over the counter. Always seek advice from your doctor if you decide to use any of the suppositories mentioned above.
Prepping for sex
While there is still a lot of research to be done, CBD suppositories have been associated with less painful and pleasurable sex. A 2019 study came up with a conclusion that the use of CBD led to more intense orgasms.
CBD helps relax the pelvic muscles and also helps improve the blood flow in the vaginal area. Relaxation and blood flow are key ingredients to better sex; hence, one may experience better sex after using CBD suppositories.
Reviews from people using the CBD suppositories are incredibly positive, so it is worth a try. You might find it to be the cure to some of your sexual problems.
Some people may regard vaginal suppositories as unconventional, but it benefits the user a lot. Vaginal suppositories help many women who may be experiencing vaginal issues to get rid of those issues quickly. You can get most of these suppositories online or over the counter, but always be careful since some of the suppositories may be substandard.