Moving can be stressful, but you can improve your moving experience by giving yourself enough time to prepare for the move. Aside from seeking help from family and friends, hiring professional movers is also an option you can explore. However, choosing the right mover can be challenging, especially if it’s your first time using such services.
When moving, it is important to perform a background check on moving companies by checking reviews online and getting requests for references from previous customers who used their services. Consider checking their website to get more details about their services and be sure to ask removalists the right questions to ensure that you get the best possible service. Here are some of the most important service-related questions to ask!
1. What is your experience? How long have you been in business? How many moves have you done?
Getting this information will help you determine if they have enough experience to provide the services you need in an efficient manner. Aside from looking at the number of years they have been providing moving services, consider asking about what kinds of moves they have performed over the years, what kind of hurdles they usually encounter and how they resolve these issues.
2. What is your pricing structure? What are your rates for packing, unpacking, and transportation? Are there any hidden fees?
If you don’t have moving quotes yet, consider asking different moving companies about the rates of the services they offer. In case you already have a moving quote, check every listed item and don’t hesitate to ask questions if there are items you’re unfamiliar with. Check their website or social media accounts if the companies are offering any discounts for certain services. If there are any, ask about the inclusions and see if this option will allow you to save a lot.
6. Are there any items you will not move?
Before making a final decision in choosing your removalist, ask them if there are items that they can’t or won’t take during the move. Keep in mind that there are items that movers can’t take if they violate safety regulations or if the items you wish to move are considered dangerous goods.
7. What is your insurance policy? Are your employees insured in case of damage to my belongings?
No matter how experienced and careful the movers are, accidents and unfortunate events may occur during the move, especially whilst your goods are being transported through rough roads. Having the appropriate insurance will give you peace of mind that your goods are covered in case there are damages or missing items when your items are delivered to your new residence.
8. What kind of equipment do you use? Do you have the right equipment to move my belongings safely?
Aside from packing your goods using quality packing materials, using the right equipment to lift and move bulky and heavy items around helps keep your belongings safe. If you’re moving heavy furniture and other delicate items like antique pieces or a grand piano, it is important to make sure that you hire movers who have the right equipment to safely move your items from your home to the moving vehicle and vice versa.
9. What are your hours of operation? When are you available to move my belongings?
Depending on the availability of your chosen mover, you may have to take time off work or make arrangements with a friend or family member who can look after your kids or pets on the day of the move. When possible, find a mover who can cater to your moving requirements at a time that works well for you. Consider avoiding a move during the peak season and choose a time that it is less busy. This way, you will have more options on the day of your move and it will be easier to book a convenient moving date.
If you don’t have time to pack/unpack your belongings or you require storage services whilst looking for a new home or making room for your things in your new home, ask your chosen provider if they offer the services you need. Consider asking them the following questions:
- Do you offer packing services? If not, do you have any recommendations for packers?
- Do you offer unpacking services? If not, are you willing to move my belongings into the new location without unpacking them?
- Do you offer storage services? If so, what are your rates?
- Do you have any reviews? What do previous customers say about your service?
- Are you licensed and insured? This is important to ensure that you are protected in case of damage to your belongings.
Asking these questions will help you to compare removalists and choose the one that is right for you. It is also important to ask about the specific services you need, such as packing, unpacking, or storage.
When directing questions to a moving expert or their representative, make sure that you:
- Ask clear and concise questions.
- Get everything in writing, including the price quote, the services that will be provided, and the terms and conditions.
- Are not afraid to negotiate the price.
- Trust your gut instinct. If you don’t feel comfortable with a removalist, don’t use them.
- By asking the right questions and doing your research, you can ensure that you have a smooth and stress-free moving experience.
Depending on what other moving services and requirements you may have, you must ask your chosen mover or service provider about the following:
- Minimum move size
- Discounts for seniors or students
- Available payment plans
- Cancellation policy
By getting this additional information, you can get a better understanding of the removalist’s services and policies, and make sure that they are a good fit for your needs. It is also important to get everything in writing, including the price quote, the services that will be provided, and the terms and conditions. This will help to avoid any misunderstandings or problems down the road.
Moving can be a daunting task, but by asking the right questions and doing your research, you can make the process go smoothly and avoid any surprises.