You may be on top of your hair game and have a bathroom cabinet full of serums, conditioners, sprays and more to maintain beautiful, healthy-looking hair – but have you gotten around to adding a heat protectant spray to your hoard? After all, shiny hair will certainly elevate your style!
Why protect your hair when heat styling?
It may seem like an obvious thing to do, but many of us simply grab our styling tools, create a look and run out the door without really thinking about the impact on our hair. A heat protectant spray is often the last thing on our minds.
While straighteners and curling tongs have concentrated heat that can go as high as 230°, blow dryers can be just as detrimental as they direct high heat at the hair for a set amount of time. Not only is temperature a concern, but tangling while styling, repeat brushing and even finishing products can contain harmful ingredients. All of this combined puts a toll on the hair that heat protectant sprays can help to combat.
The benefits of a heat protectant spray
There are an array of benefits that can come with using the right heat protecting products, such as:
- As heat styling can remove moisture, these sprays will not only replenish it, but also form a protective layer to minimise how much is lost.
- Damage usually manifests as frizz and split ends and many sprays contain ingredients that help to smooth and protect the hair shaft.
- When hair is smoothed it becomes more manageable – and fewer tangles mean less stress on the hair.
- Those with dull or colour-treated hair will see an improvement in texture and tone, as the protection offered can help to minimise fading over time.
Is the extra effort worth it in the long run?
The answer is definitely yes. While it may take a few extra minutes to distribute heat protection products through your hair before styling (and waiting for it to dry), the results will showcase your best hair with little fuss. Taking steps to ensure healthy hair that both looks and feels good is going to elevate your style and boost your self-confidence, so why not put in a little extra effort?
Tips for Choosing the Right Heat Protectant Spray
When it comes to styling your hair, this spray is a must. Not only will these sprays help prevent damage from blow-dryers, curling and flat irons, they also provide many other benefits. With the right product, you can add moisture and shine to your locks without making them greasy or weighing them down. Here are a few tips for choosing the right one for you:
- Look for ingredients that nourish and protect your hair. Natural oils like argan oil and coconut oil can help coat and lock in moisture while adding shine and strength to your locks. Vitamin E is another great choice; it helps regulate moisture levels so you don’t end up with dry hair after styling.
- Check out the hold power of the spray. Not all products offer the same level of hold, so pick one that suits the style and level of heat you’ll be using on your hair. If you want more control with a softer finish, go for a lighter hold spray; if you need more long-lasting volume or sleekness, choose one with stronger holding power.
- Read reviews carefully before buying a heat protectant spray. Professional reviews are usually very helpful in determining which products work best here: seek out formulas that leave out any unpleasant greasiness or heaviness on your mane!
- Consider how much “carry-on protection” the product offers against environmental effects like humidity or windy weather—this can be especially important if you wear your hair up all day!
How to Use a Heat Protectant Spray
They are an essential product to have in your hair care toolkit. Not only do they keep your hair safe from extreme heat damage, but they also work to nourish and add shine to your tresses. Before using a heat protectant spray, make sure that you always use the correct temperature setting on your hot styling tools. Too much heat can cause damage regardless of the products used.
Start by washing and conditioning your hair as usual, then towel-dry it before applying the heat protectant spray. Generally speaking, two to three sprays of product is enough for most lengths of hair. Hold it about 8-10 inches away from your head and make sure each strand is coated evenly for maximum protection throughout styling. Once you’ve applied the product, let it sit for a few minutes before beginning to style with hot tools such as a blow dryer or flat iron. Letting it air dry or even using a diffuser will help limit thermal stress on your strands while still providing great results and lasting hold.
Heat protectants have come so far in terms of quality and performance that some brands are now offering ‘stylers’ which offer not only added heat protection but also humidity resistance and lasting hold that coats each strand of hair as it styles for maximum fullness and body with no greasy residue left over!. Make sure you check out all the options available before deciding which one is best for you!
Using it before you style is an essential part of protecting and preserving your hair. In addition to pre-styling, other preventive measures to take when using heat are to reduce the actual temperature settings, limit the use of heated styling tools and avoid leaving them on one area of your hair for too long.
Regardless of whether you have straight, curly or textured hair, taking the time to use a thermal protection spray will provide your locks with an extra layer of protection. They come in various formulations that may include natural oils as well as polymer-based ingredients that form a protective barrier over your hair shafts against damaging temperatures. Be sure to select one that has been designed for your specific texture and needs. Additionally, continuing treatment after heat styling with nourishing shampoo, conditioner and styling products helps keep hair healthy and protected from further damage.