Chris Brown will reportedly plea self-defense in his court case, claiming Rihanna attacked him. The 19-year-old singer - who has allegedly been accused of beating his ex-girlfriend earlier this month - is waiting to hear if the charges will be brought to court and is set to accuse Rihanna of starting the altercation on February 7.
A source told Life and Style Weekly magazine: "Chris is already building his case. He's saying she threw a phone at him, then hit him in the head and basically just lost it. He's saying she attacked him."
Rihanna, 21, has reportedly told police Chris beat her in his car in Los Angeles, threatened to kill her and choked her until she was unconscious.
Chris has been charged with making criminal threats and was released on $50,000 bail.
He is also being investigated for other felonies including domestic violence and assault resulting in great bodily injury.
Rihanna is yet to file charges against him, and is said to still be deeply traumatized by the alleged assault.
A source said: "She's devastated all this has become so public. She's just angry and extremely humiliated that the whole world knows how much pain she's in right now."
"She's told her team to do what they need to do. She just wants them to handle things for her."
Chris' initial arraignment date was set for March 5, but it may now be postponed as the investigation is ongoing.
Los Angeles district attorney spokeswoman Jane Robison said: "It may not happen. We don't have the evidence yet. Los Angeles police detectives are still investigating. If detectives determine they need more time they'll set a new date for him to come into court."
Once police finish their investigation and present the district attorney with the evidence the prosecution will decide whether to file felony charges, reject the charges on the grounds of insufficient evidence or refer it to the city attorney's office as a misdemeanor violation.
Robison added: "He only has to come back if and when we file charges."