In 2008, these messes were so hot, they could be blamed for global warming. These celebrities were on the covers of tabloids, on the news, and in your water coolers but for all the wrong reasons. They tried to make them go to rehab (luckily, most said yes), and one was even on VH1's "Celebrity Rehab" with Dr. Drew. The public has spoken and has voted these 10 high-profile offenders as the Top 10 Celebrity Train Wrecks of 2008.
10. Lily Allen After her sunny 2006 debut album "Alright, Still," most of the hits Lily Allen has taken since then have been by the press. 2008 saw topless photos, drunken behavior, reports of drug use (and admittance by the star herself), as well as high-profile celebrity feuds with people like Elton John from the pint-sized pop tart. We also saw the tell-tale sign of Britney-like hair color changes (pink means you're crazy, black means you're sad, blonde means happy!). Let's hope 2009 gives Lily and her fans more reason to "Smile."
9. Heather Locklear We all thought Heather Locklear only played bad, but this past year showed differently. The television star was being treated for depression and anxiety earlier in the year and spent a month in an Arizona treatment facility. But in late September, Locklear was arrested and charged with a DUI. Was it alleged homewrecker Denise Richards' "It's Complicated" that did her in? Let's hope she stays off E! next year. Her rival's reality show was picked up for another season.
8. Pamela Anderson Pamela Anderson constantly made the news in 2008, but not once was it positive. Even her animal rights activism efforts consisted of calling meat-eating Jessica Simpson "a bitch and a whore." She also annulled her short-lived marriage to Rick Solomon citing "fraud" as the reason, and most recently made fashion news for wearing a beanie and bikini bottoms to an art gallery exhibition. If there's one thing Pamela knows, it's exhibition. If there's one thing the public wants, it's to miss it.
7. Janet Jackson Janet used to be the Jackson we could count on to put out the hits without the embarrassing headlines, but this year she went from being in "Control" to getting lots of negative "Feedback." Her "Rock Witchu Tour" visited as many hospitals as arenas when the singer's bouts with vertigo caused her to postpone and then cancel a large number of dates. Her "Discipline" album disappointed and even the baby rumors have fallen through. Miss Jackson, what have you done for us lately?
6. Gary Busey Gary Busey is a scary man. He startled poor Jennifer Garner on the red carpet of the Oscars, and then the rest of America with his appearance on VH1's "Celebrity Rehab." More weird viral videos online and the confession that he's snorted cocaine off his dog, and Gary Busey has become a household name: synonymous for crazy.
5. Michael Jackson The King of Pop did absolutely nothing in 2008 except for stepping out in pajamas and face masks. Apparently, that was enough to earn him a spot in the Top 5. His album Thriller celebrated it's 25th anniversary, and Michael promoted the disc by looking scarier than ever. A new LP is supposedly due out in 2009, but nobody's holding their nose. I mean breath.
4. Britney Spears With Britney making an appearance near the top of both the Top 10 Best Celebrity of 2008 AND Celebrity Train Wrecks, it looks like the public can forgive, but not forget. It was only ten months ago when a frazzled-looking Britney was seen strapped to a gurney and later kept in a psychiatric ward. Making headlines for her court dates, her father's conservatorship, and more rumors and antics, Britney Spears was luckily singing a different tune later in the year: her #1 hit, "Womanizer."
3. Tara Reid Tara Reid seemed as sweet as "American Pie" when she hit the movie scene back in 1998, but ten years later and it looks like her most Hollywood gig as of late is a run at Promises Treatment Center in Malibu. Though some fans started a petition to get her more work (signed by 1,597 so far), Reid should try to land some indie fare and will hopefully have drunk-danced on her last table.
2. Lindsay Lohan Now I honestly thought Lindsay Lohan had a pretty good year, but perhaps the new lesbian image rings false to some. Or maybe the fact her only career move was a few episodes of "Ugly Betty" and the rest of her year consisted of making headlines for her relationship with DJ Samantha Ronson. With only one mediocre-looking movie in the pipeline, Lohan needs more to get back in the public's good graces. Right behind Amy Winehouse on a Hot Mess list is not where you want to be.
1. Amy Winehouse It was obvious. A train wreck this big spans continents and Amy Winehouse's drug and booze-filled daily antics make headlines across the globe. She was in and out of clinics, had a stint in rehab, was arrested at least twice, was photographed barefoot all over the streets of London, and yet still managed to win a Grammy and perform (albeit poorly) hits from her stellar "Back To Black" album. I nominate Britney's dad Jamie Spears for a conservatorship of Winehouse and pronto. He'll whip that drugged-up, bony frame into shape one bowl of cheese grits at a time.