An auction of Michael Jackson's possessions has been canceled. The sale of around 2,000 of the singer's belongings has been labeled a "misunderstanding" and was abandoned Tuesday night after Jackson filed a lawsuit to prevent the auction.
The pop superstar's manager, Dr. Tohme Tohme, said: "It was a misunderstanding. It was his personal property. It was never supposed to be sold."
The items, taken from Jackson's recently sold Neverland ranch in Santa Barbara, California - which included a customized Rolls Royce car, a single crystal white glove worn in the singer's famous "Billie Jean" video and numerous stage costumes - was due to take place at Julien's Auction House in Los Angeles next Wednesday.
Darren Julien, organiser of the sale, said: "The auction isn't going to take place. We wanted to reach an agreement with Jackson, and we have reached one today that is mutually acceptable and beneficial."
The 50-year-old star's production company, MJJ Productions, launched legal action against the auction last month, arguing it had not been approved by the "Thriller" singer, despite earlier co-operation with the organizers.
While the sale - which one auctioneer estimated could have fetched up to $12 million - has been canceled, a display of the items is still open to the public until April 25, after which the goods will be returned to Jackson.
According to Tohme, Jackson eventually wants a permanent display of his belongings like the late Elvis Presley has.
Tohme said: "One day he will have a beautiful museum, like Graceland."
Jackson is scheduled to perform 50 sold out dates at London's O2 arena - billed as his last ever concerts in the U.K. - from June this year.